Why My Toyota and My Husband are Awesome

Yesterday, my poor husband was subject to one of my spur of the moment big projects. I started out my Saturday afternoon thinking I would just weed my front flower beds and investigate how bad the winter kill was to my yard. Sadly, I discovered that all of my beautiful hibiscus bushes had perished in our unusually late freezes this year. While weeding I came up with a plan to replace the bushes and make my curb appeal more uniform. Dustin came home from work a few hours early. He thought he was going to score an unexpected nap. Unaware of the job ahead of him, the second he drove up the driveway I pounced on him with plans of new hibiscus bushes, more dirt, crazy amounts of mulch and a few flats of flowers. Dustin didn't even flinch. He dutifully said, "Yes Dear," marched into the house to change into work clothes and drove us all to the nursery. We purchased 14 cubic feet of dirt, 18 cubic feet of mulch, 7 three gallon pots of hibiscus bushes, 1 flat of zinnias, 1 flat of marigolds, 1 three gallon pot white azaleas, and 1 three gallon pot of a cool flowering vine plat that I can't remember the name of. We managed to stuff all of the plants, dirt, mulch, three children, and two adults into our 1997 Toyota Camry. My Toyota is awesome! I'm sure the guys at the nursery thought we were pretty crazy, but it was a short trip and we made it home. It was a bit like driving inside the Amazon.





We worked hard for the rest of the evening. Dustin and the children never complained. They are awesome! It was perfect weather and there wasn't a single mosquito buzzing in the air. Dustin dug and pulled out old plants, the kids used their play tools to assist Daddy in taking out the dead plants and spend a great deal of time jumping from one bag of dirt to the next and walking between the pots of plants while pretending to be kitties . Lots of hard work, the exciting discovery of another hose spigot, several necessary baths and a dinner of cake and chocolate syrup resulted in this....


We added dirt and mulched to all of the front flower beds and the peach tree. We cleaned up the porch section. We put lilies across the front between the roses and the red leaf. I'm still thinking about what else I might want to put there. I know I'm going to pull some chairs from the back and put them on the front porch. That should perk it up a bit too. It's still a work in process.


Then, we framed the door approach with white azaleas and a border of orange marigolds. The marigolds smell great and should help keep some of the bugs away.


Finally, we put 7 hibiscus bushes across the front. They'll grow taller and look more like bushes as they grow. Later, when we have more time/money we will deepen the flower beds and do some more plant shaping. For now, I think it looks really clean and uniform. It should be more low maintenance than it was before and hopefully will look nicer too.


In other news, The kids have traded up bikes. Loyd is now the enthusiastic rider of the red tricycle and Rebekah is great at riding on her new two wheeled, sea themed bike with training wheels. They just keep growing. It won't be long before Xavier is out there scooting along with big brother and sister on the little red rocket. At least I can rest assured that he has to figure out how to crawl and walk first! We're looking forward to another season of bike races, puddle splashing and stick fencing in our backyard.

Happy spring!

Comments

Love this post!! It totally made me smile!! I just love the pictures of all the flowers and kids and everything piled into your toyota. And what a good husband you have to miss his nap with no complaints!!
WOW you were busy! But it looks really nice, I can't wait to see pictures of it when it has all grown in a little. Should be beautiful!
ZB said…
Wow. All I can say is WOW. About everything. Amazed that Dustin was such a good sport about it. And that all that fit in your car with your 3 kids. Amazing! It looks fabulous.

Popular posts from this blog

It's About Time We Got Some Snow Around Here

Fun Moments Around the House