Lessons In Elementary School

Rebekah received her first progress report from Kindergarten this week and it caused me to reflect on some of the things I have encountered that I didn't expect from having an elementary schooler.

I thought I would share some of those things:

1. All Betty Crocker boxes and cans throughout my kitchen are suddenly filled with square shaped holes where "Box Tops" once lived.
2. I have to remind Bekah that she can't do the entire month's worth of homework in a single night. I have to reason with her that if she does, then she won't have any fun doing homework later.
3. Having to sort through the millions of brightly colored fliers, pictures, and fundraiser reminders sent home in her folder each week.
4. Realizing the importance of having your mom show up for a lunch date at the school cafeteria to a tender 5 year old.
5. Running after the school bus inevitably becoming part of the morning exercise routine.
6. Watching "Wild Krats" after school entrenching itself as a non-negotiable part of the daily schedule. It cannot be missed.
7. P.E. is still boring.
8. If there is no homework sent home from school, then self imposed homework must be created and usually entails the cooperation of Loyd and Xavier to complete. Bekah will make an excellent teacher.
9. Reading 3 books each night is a great way to keep Loyd sitting still for 20 minutes each night. (Who even knew that was possible!)
10. One of the new highlights of my day is I watching Bekah get off the bus in the afternoon. I look forward to hearing about the wonderful things she learns and does each day.

Oh, and Bekah did very well in all of her subject areas on her report card, of course!

I just had to share this great picture of father/daughter bonding. Dustin is a great sport. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's About Time We Got Some Snow Around Here

Fun Moments Around the House